Using the cp command.

I'm trying to copy the contents of one partition to another with:
        cp -afv  (partition a)/*  (partition b)/

Normally, the command works fine except when (partition b) already contains a large number of directories and files that are duplicates of those in (partition a) . The command works but each duplicate requires permission to be overwritten so it's a tedious process, clicking on 'y' for each duplicate being copied.

Is there a way to copy the entire contents of one partition to another partition that contains duplicates without having to bang on y for each duplicate----different options, for example? I checked out ' man cp' but don't see anything that might help. Perhaps there's a different way of doing the copy.

The command works fine if there aren't any duplicates in the partitions.