Re: Help! Printing is mostly non-working!

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:53:50PM -0400, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I hope that someone can help me with this problem.  About two weeks ago,
> printing stopped working in Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, OpenOffice, and
> almost every other program that I use.
>
> Kate (the editor) still prints, but a simple editor that I wrote,
> myself, does not.  I can also print a file from the command line using
> 'lp filename', or 'lpr filename'.  Commands such as 'ls | lp' do NOT
> work, however.  This caused me to think that there might be a problem
> with bash and piping from one command to another, but 'ls | more' works
> just fine.
>
> It is really annoying to have to print to a file, and then print the
> file from the command line.
>
> BTW: I am running Sarge with the debian stock 2.4.26-1-k7 kernel and
> CUPS.  I am using cupsys-bsd, so that lp and lpr still work as the
> programs were originally configured and this had been working for
> several months untill this new problem occured.

What version of cups, cupsys-client are you using?

I don't know if this is of any use, but http://bugs.debian.org/163663
sounds similar (problem with printing from stdin), although it was
reportedly working with a later version of cupsys-client (that I think
you would be using in Sarge).

> Since I can print with 'lpr filename' I know that the problem is not
> with the printer.  Since CUPS (and cupsys-bsd) seems to work fine (I can
> print a test print from the CUPS admin page through either Opera, or
> Firefox even though the browsers' print functions don't work,
> themselves) the problem does not appear to be there, either.  Also, I
> don't beleive that there have been any recent updates to the CUPS packages.
>
> I am at a loss as to what else to check.  If anyone has any ideas, or
> has had this problem themselves, I would appreciate whatever help you
> can provide.

Does this problem exist with other users (e.g. root)?
Maybe try with a different shell?
Check that /usr/bin/{lp,lpr} are not changed from the cupsys-client,bsd
packages?

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.