After 2.4.x ->2.6.3 upgrade in Sarge, Mozilla is unusable (long pauses)

I'm running Sarge and recently upgraded the kernel
from 2.4.26-1-k7 to 2.6.3-1-k7 (just using dselect).

Everything works, but Mozilla is now unusable. When I
go to a URL, it just sits there with (e.g.)

Resolving host login.yahoo.com

at the bottom in the status frame, for about 40
seconds. Thinking I maybe had some DNS setup problem,
I tried typing "dig login.yahoo.com" at a shell prompt
- it completed in less time than I could measure with
a stopwatch, probably less than one second. The same
is found with all URLs. It doesn't matter whether I do
the "dig" before or after going to the site with
Mozilla.

It's as though it's waiting for some stupid timeout.
But where do I look?

The output from uname -a is:
Linux Leo 2.6.3-1-k7 #2 Tue Feb 24 20:39:50 EST 2004
i686 GNU/Linux

Any ideas? Seen this before?
Nick Jacobs