can't access postfix pop

I'm having some trouble with something that should be very simple.
I've got postfix running on a box with sarge.  Just building a local
mailserver.  Fetchmail is grabbing mails off of the internet and doing
fine.  I can ssh into the box and read mail.  But I can't get outlook
to login to the pop server.  Nor can I telnet into the box on port 110
to try to do it manually.  Seems like port 110 may not be open??  But
why would that be?  I have installed postfix before and remember it
being pretty straightforward.  I have tried dpkg-reconfiguring to be
sure that nothing obvious has been overlooked.  mynetworks is set to
subnet.  What am I missing??

Thanks!