Keeping usb0 up

Hi all
I have my zaurus connected to my sid host using ethernet across usb on
usb0. My sid box keeps droping the connection - at least I assume its
this box, as all I have to do is - ifup usb0 - to have my network
connection to the zaurus back again.

I thought that inactivity might allow it to drop, but the connection
itself is busy when the usb0 device is dropped (I'm both pinging the
zaurus, and using the zaurus to download from the web when usb0 gets
dropped)

Anyone have any ideas how I can keep the port up?
Thanks
Glenn