Re: dual boot with lilo

hi ya Mike

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 08:46, Mike M wrote:
> > I have a laptop that I am trying to dual boot.
>
> should be easy :)
>
> Step 1: create a GRUB boot disk.
> Step 2: learn to boot from your grub boot disk.
> Step 3: boot from your grub boot disk.

probably edit /boot/grub/menu.list
	- add your 2nd thing you wanna boot

> > I have the following partitions shown with qtparted
> > under a Knoppix boot:
> >
> > 01 /dev/hda1 ntfs      active 20GB
> > 02 /dev/hda2 fat32             2GB
> > 03 /dev/hda3 extended         33GB
> > 04 /dev/hda5 linux-swap        1GB
> > 05 /dev/hda6 ext2             15MB  // for /boot

boot is NOT in the first 1024 cyclinders ...
	- your mb and kernels may or may not be able to
	get around the 1024 cylinder boundry
	( it won't boot )

> > 06 /dev/hda7 ext2             33GB  // for /
> >
> > Will lilo as installed by Debian Woody 3.0r1 be capable
> > of finding /boot where it is shown above?

it will find it ... doesn't mean it will boot

> > I read that lilo need LBA support to get beyond the 1024
> > sector.  Does lilo on Woody support LBA?
>
> Yes. Has for years. Such doco really needs to be removed.

you might want lba32 ... defined in the lilo.conf or grub

if grub doesnt boot into /dev/hda7, lilo probably wont either
in which case you'd need to boot off anything else
and tell it root=/dev/hda7 at its boot prompt
	( boot off floppy or cdrom or network )

rest of zen's good comments zapped...

c ya
alvin