Re: Can't play audio CD's

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 07:01:31AM -0400, Carl Brown wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 3:28 am, Ogya Chief wrote:
> > There is another group called "disk" or something like that. You need to
> > belong to that group as well to be able to place audio cds. I had a similar
> > problem over the weekend and once I added my name to that group,
>
> ...and logged out, then logged back in...

...and then wondered whether Chris Metzler was correct in saying:

'Group "disk" has write access to all the raw disk devices (/dev/hd* and
/dev/sd*).  Assigning users to group "disk" is both dangerous and a
security risk.'

as her/his contribution to the 'cd and floppy disk use' thread in
debian-user on 2 May 2004.

Brian.