Re: Possible convert to Debian

Yes, I expect to be roundly flamed for this but ....
Try a hd-install off the Knoppix CD. This will start you off with a
mostly-working if oddball Debian installation. Fonts will not look ugly as
sin. You will have a solid and pleasant start.

After that, configure whatever else needs be done. This list is most helpful
here as are google searches, etc.

Later on, when more confortable with dealing with this stuff, upgrade to SID.