Re: newb question: user switching in KDE?

Ignatz Sol wrote:

I am a recent convert to Linux, running Debian sarge/testing with KDE
3.2.2.  I am interested in setting up some sort of user switching, so
that my wife can have her setup separate from mine.  I've been
especially inspired by the switching available in the new Mac OSX. Now I don't need anything fancy, and I've found a few references to
this (like this link, http://www.mepis.org/node/view/2083, though I
haven't been able to try it out yet).  Just want to be clear as to
what is the best way to facilitate this.  I will also need to be able
to switch with an icon or something similar to make it simple for my
wife.  Thanks for any help.

I don't know about an icon-based switch, but I've been using switching at my house for years.

After the first person is logged into X in the normal manner (startx, xdm, kdm, whatever), the second user can Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a console, log in there, and then start a second session of X with "startx -- :1". The third person can log in (Ctrl-Alt-F3) and start a third session with "startx -- :2", and so on.

You can even configure kdm to have a graphical login on each X session to make it easier, but I prefer the startx method myself.

Then to switch between users, Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch to the first session, Ctrl-Alt-F8 to the second, Ctrl-Alt-F9 to the third, etc.

I don't know of any way to autolock the screen when leaving one screen, but a screensaver with a password might do for your needs (at my house, passwords aren't an issue).

--
Kent