How do I stop the Xserver?

Hi,
I'm a Linux noob.  I've installed several distros just o get a feel for Linux and really like it.  My machine has a video card that requires the Nvidia driver.

I have two quick questions.
First, how do I stop the X server when I CTRL-ALT-F2 to a console? and two, does anyone know if the procedure for installing the .RUN package that Nvidia supplies work on Sarge???

I'd really appreciate answers to these.  I have searched for answers but so far haven't found any clear answers.

Thanks,
Jim