Re: moving apt's cache

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:50:07AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Currently, apt's cache is in /usr/var/cache/apt.  I would like to move
> that back to /var/cache/apt, thanks to new disk space.
>
> I recall some problems with this when I originally moved it, I think
> because some other files had pointers to the location.  That was quite
> awhile ago.  Does anybody know if it is safe to make the switch simply
> by editing
> Dir {
> 	Cache "/usr/var/cache/apt";
> };
> in apt.conf and mv'ing the files?
>
> By "problems" I mean that apt starts downloading all the debs again,
> seemingly not recognizing that it has them.

  Beside looking at the documentation you might start with only copying
the files to the new location, as opposed to moving them. Hopefully this
will give you a backup for your repository.
  I hope it helps.
--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I