RE: suffering from an apparently broken tcp

Well, I'm really starting to convince myself that this is a hardware
problem.

1) I think this may be the computer that was experiencing similar
problems when running Win2k.  It's a 50/50 chance that is was this box.

2) I ran ethereal on it, and it frequently (but not always) reported
that outgoing packets had a checksum error at the TCP layer.  This can
fixed by setting the hw_checksums=0 option for the 3c59x module, which
forces software calculation of the FCS (I seem to recall that much of
the 3c59x can calculate TCP checksums in hardware).  Strangely enough,
as far as I can tell the Windows boxes didn't seem to mind these errors.
It doesn't seem to affect throughput.

3) ifconfig reports a really large number of receive errors.  Running
ifconfig before and after a large file transfer, there were 419 frames
received, and 129 frame errors!

4) I've seen a few reports of somewhat similar problems on the 3c920,
apparently a pretty common NIC chipset in Dells.  Inexplicable slow
transfers in one direction.

One thing I figured out is that the baby switch in my office is crappy.
Cutting that out at least makes the link usable (transfers no longer
break after 64k) though it's still marginally unusably slow, at ~50kB/s.
Considering that this will be a revision control server, it needs to be
a bit snappier than that!

One of the curious things I'm seeing is that data transfer occurs in
bursts with a period of .32 seconds, which would explain the 50kB/s.
Most of the time three TCP continuation frames come in back-to-back,
then there's that .32 second gap... and then three more frames.  I'm no
TCP or SMB expert, but it looks to me like one of the ACK frames is
getting lost in there. That might be corroborated by the unusually high
frame error count in ifconfig.  (I can make a libpcap dump if anybody's
really that interested.)

The thing that still gets me is that downloading from the Internet is
blazingly fast, it's only on the local network that's dreadfully slow.
I don't know.  I've already tried swapping ports to our main switch,
which didn't make a difference.  So at this point I'm inclined to stick
this hard drive in a different box.  We've got a handful of these
Precision 420s sitting around, so I can hope that one of them will work
nicely!

Thanks for the help!  Well, it didn't exactly "help", but it's nice to
have some moral support.  Anyways, I haven't tried netperf, but ethereal
is pretty sweet.  If the motherboard swap doesn't help, I may have to
hook it up our Ixia network analyzer (does 100base-T, OC-3, OC-12, GigE,
and is also pretty sweet, despite the steep learning curve).  Still, I'd
rather just have everything work!

-- Kim