Re: win4lin howto

Makes sense. Well I never wrote a HOWTO, but I can give you vague
memories :-)
I've installed win4lin on very old suse, rhat, mandrake and debian - all
by 'manually' applying kernel patches, which was a first for me - thats
the worst case scenario, and it works out well.

Debian isn't officially supported so there was no easier option for
quite a while with debian, but since kernel 2.2 there has been kernel
patches for the debian kernel specifically. Once you register with their
site  (which may or may not involve purchasing the product, don't
recall) you can get to the misc downloads section, where you can
download some .deb files. Be sure to get the correct ones for your
kernel. I never used it beyond kernel 2.4.18 so I don't know how it goes
on 2.6 kernels ( I use vmware now).

Debian uses some tricky kernel patch management thingy which makes
everything much easier and more orderly for applying special patches
(e.g if you install the nvidia patches with aptitude, you'll see an
example of what I mean). The .deb 2.4>5 patches on the win4lin site
work with in this debian framework as I recall.

Its all quite feasible - give it a whirl

BTW did you give wine or crossover a try