"Permissions on the file /dev/pmu are broken"

I just upgraded to the Gnome 2.6 packages in unstable on my iBook laptop.
Upon logging in to Gnome 2.6 the first time, I receive an error dialog
popup message titled "Error" whose text is "Permissions on the file
/dev/pmu are broken".

Does anyone know what program pops up this error message (so I can file a
bug against it for not giving a better error message), and what the
permissions on /dev/pmu are supposed to be?  Mine are currently rw-------,
owned by root.root

thanks,