Re: X server crash

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:49:20 +1000
"Prometheus" <prometheus@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> Package: xserver-xfree86
> Version: 4.1.0-16woody3
>
> I have a problem running X server on my debian box.  I ran the
> xf86config application and set up the configuration, but when I tried to
> start the server (xinit or startx), it crashed. The log file is
> attached. Note that the video card I am using is as follows:
>
> Matrox MGA-G200 (8192KB RAM)
>
> It seems that my configuration is incorrect, but I don't know what part
> of it is causing the server to crash.
>
> I am using Debian GNU/Linux 2.2.20, and libc6 2.3.1

Hi.  You included a copy of your XFree86.0.log.  At the beginning of
it, it tells you that lines that begin with (EE) are errors encountered;
so a good place to start is in looking for those.  In yours, we see:

} (II) LoadModule: "mga_hal"
} (WW) Warning, couldn't open module mga_hal
} (II) UnloadModule: "mga_hal"
} (EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does not exist, 0)
} (II) MGA(0): Matrox HAL module not found - using builtin mode setup
}      instead

. . .which I can tell you from personal experience (I have a G550) is
not your problem.  But later, at the end of the file, we see it unload
all your modules for video devices:

} (II) UnloadModule: "mga"
} (II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
} (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
} (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
} (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
} (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

It looks like you're right, and that your configuration is incorrect.
Unfortunately, you don't include your configuration.  Perhaps you
might want to pass along your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 . . .

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)