Re: make-kpkg --revision policy and glibc?

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:43:26AM +0200, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> Hello,
Hi. I don't see any answers from people more knowledgeable about
"policy", so I'll give it a try...

> after compiling 2.4.26 kernel I'm in trouble upgrading debian/unstable.
> glibc complains about kernel subversion > 255. Well, my kernel is:
> 2.4.261.01.mrh -> due to policy I've read in man make-kpkg, revision
> number should not contain any hyphen, special characters (only
> alphanumerics + .   is allowed).
>
> Well, so I did follow the manual (THEY wrote there, that default is
> 10.00.Custom):
>
> make-kpkg --revision 1.01.mrh --append_to_version 1.01.mrh kernel_image
>
> It has worked good until now, as with 2.4.26 it gives 261 which is > 255,
> so I cannot upgrade libc6/glibc.

It is not the --revision that is causing your trouble, it is the
--append_to_version.  If you look at the Makefile, you can see that
$EXTRAVERSION is appended to $SUBLEVEL without any separation character,
thus you are getting (2.4.26)(1.01.mrh) -> 2.4.261.01.mrh

> What is the _proper_ solution? Yes, I know I can compile with --revision
> mrh.1.01, probably it will work, but is there another, "common, advised
> way"?

Note in the make-kpkg man page --append_to_version allows lowercase
alphanumerics and the 3 characters "- + ."  Also if you read
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz there is one example:

   make-kpkg clean
   make-kpkg -rootcmd fakeroot --append-to-version -custom.${VER} \
        --revision custom.${VER} kernel_image modules-image

Note the use of the hyphen character at the start of the
--append-to-version argument. (Note in the man page both formats
--append-to-version and --append_to_version are equivalent.)

So I would suggest that you add a delimiting character to the beginning
of your kernel EXTRAVERSION variable, maybe a hyphen as in the example
above, or at least a "."

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.