Re: Creating a custom debian distro.

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:10:42 +0400
"Dan Korostelev" <dan@ats.energo.ru> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I need to create a custom debian desktop installation CD for my friend.
> I need a debian-installer, X, gnome, etc packages from unstable. All
> installable from a CD. Please give me some links where can I read about
> creating this CD. Thanks.

I'm trying to create a custom debian cd too, not only for the custom package
selection but also to automate some parts of the installation proces, like
configuring mail and choosing repositories. The options i found so far are:

debian-cd package: used to create the official cd images, allows you to select
the packages you want on your cd and also has support for a custom repository. I
can't find a way to change the installer, so it allows me to install some basic
configuration files.

pgi: seems to work, but doesn't allow for a custom repository. There are however
some post-installation hooks.

fai-bootcd: this script creates the package repository based on the package
classes defined in fai and creates an iso image with the repos and all fai
scripts.  Fai is a bit complicated to setup but is very flexible and is made for
unattended setups.

the new debian installer seems interesting too but i didn't found any
information about how to create a woody image with it.

The fai-bootcd fitted my requirements best. Are there any other options that
i've missed?