kdeinit slowly chokes machine

Hello list,

I have a problem with my kdeinit. When I start using my computer, everything
is fine, but after a while kdeinit starts to choke the machine.
Every now and then, it makes the system soar to near 100% system cpu use. As
times goes by, the interval shortens, and it feels like it lasts longer, but
that may be subjective.

Anyway, what's odd (I think) is that a ctrl-backspace (kill the X server,
reload KDE) doesn't do any good, the only thing that reliably solves it is a
reboot.
Also, note that it's the kernel that locks up (it's not user cpu). If I use
tethereal to capture packets, all packets will be dropped during the kdeinit
freeze (foo packets dropped by kernel).

I have created a kdedev user environment and have been compiling QT as
described in the KDE quality team documents. It shouldn't spill anything
outside that user env. but I mention it since that seems like a possible
explanation.
Another thing I did was compile kitchensync from source (since there doesn't
seem to be a package for it).

I've reinstalled (with apt-get install --reinstall) the kdelibs-bin package
(that supplies kdeinit), to no avail.
If someone could point me to a way of troubleshooting/solving this problem,
I'd be happy to hear about it since rebooting my machine every 2 hours insn't
what I've become to expect from debian ;)

I'm running sarge on a Dell latitude D800 laptop, with my own kernel (have to
for the funky hardware and WXGA screen) based on the config of Mike Hardey
[1].

[1] http://mikehardy.net/linux_latitude_d800/.config

Thanks for any pointers

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.