Re: PCI wlan NICs

hi ya

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Borislav Petkov wrote:

> Hi there smart list,
> our dorm is migrating to a wireless LAN network and I have to buy a PCI WLAN
> NIC in order to use the new cheap net provider we're getting. However, since
> I'm using linux 99% of the time, I'll need a NIC that has a linux driver. The
> best thing'll be to buy something as cheap and as standard as a NIC based on
> the RTL-8139 chip by Realtek, but a WLAN version of it. I went to
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ (Wireless LAN resources
> for Linux) but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about this, any
> positive or negative experiences.. That will be of great help.

not sure of realtek wireless cars

if you want other wireless devices to use your linux-based gw to get out
than the pci card ( chipset ) must support:

	iwconfig ethxx mode master
	( if it doesnt, it will NOT work as an access point )

	even if it did, and you plan to run wpa instead of wep ...
	you will need a card and driver that supports wpa

#
# beware of all manufacturers model numbers... same named product can
# have different chipset inside  and the silly marketing box will not say
# what chipset they using today to build a million of these cards
#

- list of various drivers .. and/o linux based AP
	http://linux-sec.net/Wireless/Drivers
	http://linux-sec.net/Wireless/AP	-- cards other people used

- i've gotten the netgear wg311 802.11g w/ madwifi drivers to work as an
  AP
	http://linux-sec.net/Wireless/Install-HOWTO

	- next step is to get it to run WPA and radius

c ya
alvin