Re: How to recover files from corrupted file system?

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 18:58, Alvin Oga wrote:
> and dont worry ... reiserfschk-3.6.14 doesn't always fix itself(reiserfs)
> either but tends to corrupt it more than it fixed it on the disks it tried
> to fix

I don't get it. Why would I use reiserfschk on this? The filesystem I
had before was ext3. And I have tried fsck.ext3 as well, but since the
inode table is overwritten by mkfs.reiserfs and the current filesystem
is reiserfs, it doesn't work. It's the ext3 filesystem I want to
recover.

> take out your backup tapes or backup disks or other backup cds

I have no backup of this partition. This is because the partition is 100
GB of size, and it is not a critical disk, so I don't bother paying $150
for a backup device for this one.

However, it would still be worth some hours of research to try to
retrieve the old files. So please give me some advice of what to do.

Best regards,
Lars Tobias Borsting