Re: Intel S875WP1-E with woody

colin@devplatform.co.uk wrote:
> I have installed woody on an Intel S875WP1-E entry server board (http://www.intel.com/design/servers/s875wp1-e/), but am having problems getting the network cards to work. The board has 2 network cards, an Can anybody tell me how I can get the working?

Please word wrap your lines at something like 72 columns.  Your
message is all on one line and goes out to 252 columns!  That makes it
very hard to read.

Please say *exactly* what kernel you have installed.  There are
several possibilities and the differences are important.

> They are:
> One Intel® PRO/100+ Server Network Connection (Intel 82562ET Controller) and one Intel PRO/1000 XT Server Network Connection (Intel 82547EI Controller)

The 'woody' release includes the eepro100 driver which should work for
the first interface.  But it does not include anything appropriate for
the second interface.  You will need a newer kernel.  At least 2.4.19
or later is required.

Add 'eepro100' to /etc/modules to instruct the kernel to load that
module at boot time.

  modprobe eepro100

If taht works then the following:

  echo eepro100 >> /etc/modules

Alternatively you can use the 'modconf' program to help you do this
for you.

It is usually about here where I suggest getting the kernel from the
woody-proposed-updates area.  A not quite official update area and
very useful.

  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ woody-proposed-updates main contrib

I would not upgrade from there.  Just install the kernel that you
want, then comment that line out for the future.  I always install the
kernel tuned for my architecture, k7 for an athlon, and so forth.

After you have installed the newer kernel then install the e1000
driver using the same proceedure as above.  After that works then
switch out the eepro100 for the better e100 driver.  The eepro100 is
the older driver and has some issues which are corrected by the e100
driver.  Edit /etc/modules and replace eepro100 with e100.  Either
unload the old driver and load the new one or simply reboot.

Bob