Re: OT - trivial programming language

richard lyons <richard@the-place.net> writes:

> But it seems to me most rational to use the opportunity to begin
> learning one of the lighter languages that I keep seeing mention of.
> So the question is, which do you people recommend?

IMHO, none of Perl, Python, Ruby is "lighter" than the others.  So I
suggest to just let your taste decide.  "Clean syntax" is an advantage
that you could use for some (all?) of them.

awk and sed are nice, but they are limited in some ways, so as soon
as you want to do something that they are not so well-suited to do,
you will start to invent workarounds.  That's why I usually use awk
for single one-liners such as "foo | awk '{print $2}'", but otherwise
I use one of the others.

Kai