apache/php/mysql help

I have been running apache/php/mysql successfully for a very long time.
Suddenly this morning my php web pages return

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect()

I can process the web page from the command line but not from apache.

OK, I've found the problem but I don't know how to correct it.

When apache loads php4 it looks for /usr/lib/php4/20010901/mysql.so
which it can't find. The directory is there but the file is not. However
/usr/lib/php4/20020429/mysql.so does exist.

How can I get things back in sync?

--
"... the state ... is not armed with superior honesty, but
 with superior physical strength." -- Henry David Thoreau