Re: OT - trivial programming language

Hi Richard

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 02:55:35PM -0400, richard lyons wrote:
> I'm asking for a bit of advice here.
>
> I wish to convert a kaddressbook database to abook format saving as
> many fields as possible.
>
> (...)
>
> But it seems to me most rational to use the opportunity to begin
> learning one of the lighter languages that I keep seeing mention of.
> So the question is, which do you people recommend?
>
> The input data will be the cvs dump from kmail, and the output will be
> abook native format, which is a series of numbered paragraphs ,
> reminiscent of an doze .ini file. That is to say, it begins:
>    [2]
>    name=name
>    email=email1@here.com,email2@here.com,email3@here.com,email4@here.com
>    address=address_1
>    address2=address_2
>    city=hereville
> so I assume sed is less than optimal.  It seems like a function I
> might need again, so it is worth having it in a script.
>
> (...)
> TIA
>
> --
> richard

I did a similar thing using awk. Actually, it tries to convert a xml addressbook
format to csv, but it can be rewritten to do the other way.

See http://www.fahnenmueller.privat.t-online.de/abx2csv/

HTH
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

# Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
# your ~/.signature to help me spread!