Re: postgres installation question

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 22:19, Tom Allison wrote:
> I'm doing a -testing installation of postgresql.
>
> I have the user postgres in the passwd file.
> I don't know what the password is.
>
> I'm wondering:
>
> Should I know it?  I can always su posgres from root, but I don't always
> want to have to go root first.  Is there is any problems with having a
> real password for login (from say SSH for admin purposes).

It doesn't have a password, unless and until root gives it one.

There is no harm in giving it a password, but the package installation
isn't going to do that, since "su postgres" will do just as well and let
you know which real person is doing things.

In addition, if you create a PostgreSQL user to match your sytem login
and make that user a PostgreQSL administrator (i.e, able to create users
as well as databases) there is almost nothing that you need to log on as
`postgres' to do.
     "But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the
      place of understanding? It cannot be gotten for gold,
      neither shall silver be weighed for the price thereof.
      Whence then cometh wisdom? and where is the place of
      understanding? ...Behold the fear of the Lord, that is
      wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding."
                                         Job 12,15,20,28