Re: [OT] Yahoo's Antispam proposal

On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:35 am, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Bojan Baros wrote:
> > Link: http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
> >
> > So, what's everyone take on this?
>
>     How would it be any better than this?
>
> SPF. http://spf.pobox.com/

Domainkeys uses digital signatures and SPF seems to be like microsofts
callerid system. They all have the same problems:

- I have a few email addresses. When I send email from home that is work
related, I set my From: address to my work email. When I send
sourceforge-related stuff, I use my sourceforge address. This mail would be
bounced using any of these systems because the mail gets sent from my home
machine.

- Implementation is optional. If I'm sending SPAM, I only need to find one
domain in the world that doesn't have this system implemented, and send all
my spam using From addresses in that domain. Remember that this domain only
has to exist, it doesn't need to even have an email system.

- And they assume that DNS is secure and un-spoofable.

Darryl Luff