Re: cdrom does not un-mounts

On Saturday 22 May 2004 06:52, J.S.Sahambi wrote:
> I am using Debian/sid. Some times when I mount a cdrom and try to
> unmount it immediately, it gives the following error on the terminal:
>
> umount: /cdrom: device is busy
> umount: /cdrom: device is busy
>
> But the fact is the cdrom is not being used by any of my terminals or
> programs (as I have not used the terminal or any program to browse or
> use the cdrom). The only way I have found to umount the cdrom in this
> case is to logout (or kill the xserver with ctrl-alt-backspace) and
> login are root or same user and unmount. Then the cdrom unmounts with
> out any problem.
>
> Can anybody shed some light on it.
>
> Thanks
> JSS
I use lazy unmounting to solve this problem.
First exit the directory of the CDrom (better close the
filemanager completely)
then do a umount -l /mnt/cdrom
or wherever you mounted it.

From the manual page:

Lazy unmount. Detach the filesystem from the filesystem hierarchy now, and
cleanup all references  to  the  filesystem as soon as it is not busy
anymore.  (Requires kernel 2.4.11 or later.)

Good luck,

John