Re: Samba and network printing

hi ya john

On Thu, 20 May 2004, John L Fjellstad wrote:

> CW Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com> writes:
>
> >> Now, the smb user is my guest user. I'm not sure why it tries to log in
> >
> > You may be having your account mapped to you guest user.
> > IIRC the things that are required are:
> > 	1. User is in the printer admin group

doesn't matter ... lpd or other printer daemons take care of it for the
users including root

> > 	2. User has a valid smb password/account

if its not working, how do you know its valid?

> > 	3. User must be able to write to the *nix directory where
> > 	   samba stores the printer driver info.

the /home/smb_user  should show up in network neighborhood in the windoze
box  and you should be able to drag-n-drop files into the
linuxbox:/home/smb_user directory

> But I don't understand what my account has anything to do with it, since
> I'm logging in as root, and root does have rights to the printer driver
> directory.

joining in the middle ... lets see

am assuming, "root" on the linux box can print to the printer connected
to it
	- root can print tothe local printer
	- root can print to the printer on the other linux box

	if not... fix the /etc/printcap on your local linux box

	    lp|HP-LaserJet:\
	        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
	        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
	        :pw:132:\
	        :fq:\
	        :sh:mx#0:\
       		:if=/usr/local/sbin/printers/somefilter-program:\
	        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp-log:

		"if" input filter is needed for print web pages to
		an regular ( non-postscript ) printer

	root# lpr /etc/printcap

	the linux box with the printer that has the printer connected
	to it would have in its /etc/printcap

	   lp|HP-LserJet:\
		:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
		:rm=LP_ServerIP:

		# make sure "ping LP_ServerIP" works

	root# lpr /etc/printcap
		- you should have a hard copy

	if you want to be able to print postscript files
	( web pages from the web browers, ) make sure oyu
	can manually print the tiger.ps files

		lpr /path/tiger.ps

		be prepared to abort the reams of paper spewing out
		in which case oyu need magicfilter or apsfilter or xxx

now for samba ( windows users )
	- lets assume the userID is "smb_user"

	on the linux box that has the printer connected to it
	a) root# smbpasswd smb_user

	b) configure /etc/samba/smb.conf
		- make sure the permissions is correct ..
		- long laundry list of files and directories to check
		( see the samba printing howto )
		- run the samba test tools to check the syntax of smb.conf

	c) PrinterManager
		- add new Network printer
		- it should ask for your passwd you used for smbpasswd
		- Print TestPage

	d) take a pepsi break and start from step 0 ... or have a beer
  	   to celebrate

== and if one printer is in NewYork and the other printer is in London,
   now you can send documents to each other ... ( free fax )
	- but secure the silly boxes first so only *you* can print
	to the remote printer ...

c ya
alvin