Re: logical drive limitation

on Thu, May 20, 2004 at 09:57:13AM -0700, Ken Guo (ken@infortrend.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you please tell me the drive size limitation of debian Linux. We
> have a customer who create a 2.8 TB logical drive, but the debian
> Linux host only see 0.34TB.

Google for "linux large disk support" or "large file support".  Or just
ask Google.  IIRC, they've more than 2 TiB total storage.

Depending on your hardware, you may need to enable a number of kernel
parameters at build time.  You can find these in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help (typically).  Your own
kernel's build options, if a stock Debian kernel, are in your /boot
directory.

32 bit hardware doesn't natively address sizes > 2 GiB, but a number of
large file / filesystem support mechanisms exist to support very large
filesystems.  The filesystem itself is likely a significant factor here.

Note that some limitations may be imposed by BIOS, though once GNU/Linux
itself has booted, these shouldn't be a concern.

Peace.

    Be what you would seem to be.