Mozilla remote control not working

After an upgrade last week (on unstable), remote control no longer works.
I can start firefox just fine, but if I attempt to load another window,
nothing happens. A little debugging revealed that the remote control app
doesn't know that there's an instance running. In fact, if I dig my way
through the shell scripts and run

  /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin -remote 'openurl(http://localhost/,new-window)'

I get "No running window found." And if I run

  /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin

the Mozilla 1.6 (!?) profile manager pops up. I tried removing Mozilla 1.6 but
there seem to be things that depend on it.

Suggestions?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--