Re: Shuttle SB61G2

Alexander Tillmann wrote:
Hi,

does somebody know if the Shuttle SB61G2 is completely supported by Debian?

regards,
Alexander

I don't know that you got any replies on this and I don't know much about the SB61G2 but I've learned a lot about how to buy and not buy Linux hardware.

1) If it works for Linux, it will probably work for Debian. If not now (99% of the time) then soon (1% of the time). Google for "Linux SB61G2"

"Linux compatibility was okay on most fronts. The only trouble I had was with the Realtek sound chip, which Knoppix could not recognize. A little kernel and config tweaking is likely to solve this problem, but that's a hassle for inexperienced Linux users. Mini-PCs in general tend to use Realtek peripherals, so this is not a problem that can necessarily be avoided by choosing a different brand or model."

Many people have working Realtec audio so I wouldn't worry about this.

2) If you want to test the hardware, drop in a knoppix CD and see what you come up with. For hardware systems this is probably the single best approach I can offer. Since Knoppix is Debian based and you can carry in your pocket, you should be able to answer this question yourself to great detail in about 5 minutes.

3) As a grosse generalization: Basic computer system hardware works mostly out of the box with Debian/Linux. Where things get really inconsistent is when you look at peripherals, but even this is improving greatly. Scanners are scarey.

4) As a not-so-grosse generalization: Most hardware that is >6 months old will probably work out of the box. The other side to this is the really cheap "do everything" peripherals and cards probably won't work out of the box with Linux for years, if ever. Research Winmodems regarding price and functionality for an example. Careful what you pay for, you just might get it.