RE: Back up a Windows box w/o Samba?

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 11:11, Jens Simmoleit wrote:

[snip]

> Well, apt-get install webmin and (should be) webmin-samba and give it a try
> then..... BUT I must say I forgot an even simpler method if you're still
> looking for an easy to use solution for your dad. Simply create a new normal
> user called backup on your Debian-Box and get a copy of WINscp... install it
> on WinME, provide your Dad with the password of the user backup and he can
> copy the stuff to /home/backup.... with the windows feeling he's used to ;-)
> he can't mess up anything (only his own backups :-).

just a hint to something i have been using.
the cwrsync for windows is a standalone cygwin+rsync for windows.
you can run rsync server on your debian.
and a bat script on the windows can run the whole backup

advantages is that you can put the password in a textfile to avoid user
error, and it will backup the changes only so it saves on time and
bandwitdh

> > If I could share a Windows printer, that would save me some
> > money.  Dad has a
> > fancy color laser.  CUPS supports it, but I need to run it as
> > either a Samba
> > share or a network printer.
> >
> > In either case, I keep smacking my face into the same brick wall.  The
> > all-important "URL" field.

if it has a static ip then i tend to use socket://ip.addr.of.printer

--
Ronny Aasen <list@datapart-as.no>