Re: Getting wide ``dpkg -l'' output in scripts and pipes.

Adam Funk wrote:
> ``dpkg -l'' on its own in a terminal produces wide output, e.g.:
> [...]
> but when I send its output to a pipe or a file, I get narrow
> output:

I thought dpkg -l used COLUMNS or the current tty columns to base its
output.  Which makes me think you have set 'COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l', which
is something I do.

> I want to dump a complete list of installed packages to a file as
> part of my backup procedure.  man dpkg-query suggests using
> --showformat=format, in particular: "Package information can be
> included by inserting variable references to package fields using
> the ${var[;width]} syntax."  But it doesn't say what the variable
> names are.  Suggestions?

I would backup /var/backups.  That directory includes a copy of the
dpkg status file and a few other tidbits from the system.  From that
you can recreate your system.  I use my own script to parse the data.
I can post that if there is interest.  It is simple.  I would also
save /var/cache/debconf but it is not as critical.

Bob