Re: Debian, rpm and corporate world (was: Can rpm packages from other linux distribution be used on Debian?)

on Mon, May 17, 2004 at 11:07:01AM +0200, Dominique Dumont (domi@komarr.grenoble.hp.com) wrote:
> bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:
>
> >> and I found that it can't find files it need in deb DB,I had been
> >> tried to install it on debian,
> >>     #rpm -ivh myproduct-xxx-xx.rpm
> >> the program will prompt: myproduct need perl >5.6, and the bash must
> >> be installed
> >
> > As other people have written doing this is not a good thing.  Put
> > yourself in the other position.  I have a .deb file from Debian.  I
> > want to install it on a RH system.  Should I insist that you must use
> > dpkg to install it there?  That would be just as silly as insisting
> > the reverse.  A native packaging is always best.

> Currently there is big chicken and egg problem with Debian in the
> corporate world. Corporate guys want to be able to install software
> from ISV (like Oracle).

Oracle, and a small number of related enterprise systems, really sit in
a class by themselves.  Ideally, they're installed on stand-alone,
dedicated hardware, with the OS tweaked to the application's
specification.

Had an interesting discussion a few weeks back with a friend now working
at PeopleSoft, tracing kernel issues through the application.

For applications of this complexity, scope, and corporate profile, you
pretty much _do_ knuckle down.  Doesn't mean you can't play around the
edges, or investigate alternatives.

And for a wide class of applications (again:  SAS in my experience), the
so-called distro-specificity is pretty much a red herring.  Though your
support contract may call for it.

In practice, the truth is that the Unix share of such ISV's operations
is falling drastically.  SAS now splits revenues between MF and 'Doze,
with 'Nix a rapidly declining share (another reason I find it far less
interesting these days).

> ISVs only provide their proprietary software as rpm because not many
> corporation ask for Debian. Corporation do not ask for Debian because
> most ISVs don't provide Debian packages.

Last time I installed Oracle, it was some gawdoffal Java-based GUI
installation.  Granted, 2000/2001.  Is there an RPM yet?

> IMHO, the only way to break this circle is to provide a way to install
> rpm that doesn't look like a hack.

It's not a hack, it's an alien ;-)

Peace.

    Save Bob Edwards!       http://www.savebobedwards.com/