Re: addressbook recommendations?

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 03:20:47AM -0400, richard lyons wrote:
> Does anyone here have any recommenations for an addressbook?  I'd like to
> replace kaddressbook (now that I'm not running kde).  Something generic
> x-windows would be fine - or perhaps better a console-based one.  If the data
> are in a portable format, so much the better.  I find kaddressbook is
> cumbersome to load for a quick reference, and seems inclined to be cranky
> sometimes.
>
> TIA

For a console one:
Write all data in separate paragraphs, in "filewithdata", such as

Peter Pan
1-800-555-1212
Lives with Wendy, my former girlfriend.
2565 South Park Avenue
Atlanta, GA

Johnny one-eye
1-908-757-8661
blah blah

Then use the following sed script

#!/bin/bash
# taken from a collection of scripts
# print paragraph if it contains AAA (blank lines separate paragraphs)
# sed -e '/./{H;$!d;}' -e 'x;/AAA/!d;'
# To find someone's data, just type ./find "word"
# where "word" is a word you know is in the paragraph sought after
# The data base is a flat text file, with paragraphs separated by
# blank lines.
#sed -e '/./{H;$!d;}' -e 'x;/'$*'/!d;' ~/filewithdata;
# next line version is case insensitive
sed -e '/./{H;$!d;}' -e 'x;/'$*'/I!d;' ~/filewithdata;
echo " ";
exit 0;

>From a command line, just type ./scriptname pan
and it will spit all info you have about Peter.

HTH