Re: Use modified Debian packages -- management issues

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> writes:

> I would like to compile Tora with Oracle support.  If I want to do it
> once, I do like this: I fetch the sources with apt-get, then I edit
> debian/rules (perhaps other debian/* files, too), then I build the
> package, then dpkg -i.
>
> But when a new version of the Debian package comes out, I have to
> repeat the whole process.  This quickly becomes boring.  I'm sure
> there is a way to automate this.  But how?

Check out apt-src or apt-build.

> Also, I would like to make the modified package available to others.
> I already have a directory to upload to, and my colleagues have the
> right line in sources.list.  However, when a new Debian version comes
> out, they might do a dist-upgrade, and then they will lose the Oracle
> functionality.  How to avoid this?

Either ensure your modified version will always have a higher version
than the one in the archive (an epoch could be used, I suppose), or
setup apt pinning on your colleagues' machines to pin apt to your
modified packages.

Or, just build the package with Oracle support once, install it, and put
it on hold so that it never gets upgraded.

--
You win again, gravity!