Re: Intel NIC Driver

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 02:33:04PM -0400, jhgraves@gis.net wrote:
| I just installed debian on a server.  The server has a an Intel PRO 1000
| MT network card/interface.  This was not rcognized by any driver on the
| install.
|
| 1. Is there a driver that will work with this.  I believe it is on the
| motherboard.

e1000

(probably;  I've used the eepro100 driver for some Intel EtherExpress
Pro 100 NICs before, so I guess yours uses a similar naming scheme)

| 2. As a newbie with Debian/Linux.  How do I know install a driver into
| the server?

To load a module on a running system, use the 'modprobe' command (as
root).  Ex:
    # modprobe e1000

To have the system automatically load the module each time it boots,
list the module in /etc/modules.  Normally you will use a text editor
to edit that file.  If you wanted to add that module without using a
text editor, though, the following command will suffice :
    # echo e1000 >> /etc/modules

HTH,
-D

--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,