Re: help trying to load driver for e1000.o module

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 09:41, John Hitzfelder wrote:
> Hello,
> New linux user, trying to build an intel server.
> I’m using the 2.2.20-compact cd image.

Wrong image to use. Try bf2.4 from the first prompt

> I’m having trouble getting the install program to load the module for
> the Intel® 82546EB controller.  I’ve found a few other people that had
> trouble loading the driver for this nic, but their solutions (and
> module disks) don’t seem to be working for me.

There should already be an existing Module (in the 2.4.18-x kernels) for
the e1000. But in that case it doesn't see the NIC. You will need a few
things. But let us assume you have a working machine (though not fully)
you should be able to just follow these instructions and then you should
be able to compile your module(s).

Personally I would setup a good set of default for your
/etc/apt/sources.list. I have a fairly large set you will have to
uncomment to get to work: http://www.gregfolkert.net/files/sources.list

I'd uncomment the "stable" lines only.

apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade

Answer the questions proper, then once that is all done:

For a Uni-Processor machine (single processor)
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686 kernel-headers-2.4.18-1-686

For an SM-Processor machine (2 or more processors)
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686-smp kernel-headers-2.4.18-1-686-smp

Of course any additional packages apt-get want to install is good.

I'd also add any "recommended" packages it want as well. The headers
will give you everything you need to compile the e1000 module(s) for
this kernel, if the default one doesn't work.

> Dbootstrap gives me unresolved symbol errors when I try to load the
> module. The install program says the loading has failed.

Let's work this through slowly.

> It does attempt to read the disk and does give me a choice of what
> modules to load, choosing e1000.o for the nic, I’ve tried a few
> different arguments to pass but I’m in the dark as to what is needed
> here.  The other pages  I found searching don’t give me any clues.
>
> I’ve tried to auto-assign the irq by saying irq=0, tried variations
> with modprobe and insmod but with no luck.

Not really a viable thing. You are currently using the 2.2.20 Kernel. Of
which it is pretty much in Maintenance Mode as far as kernels go. And
the device support isn;t quite what you would want for a newer machine.

> Any pointers as to what I should be looking for or what am I missing
> on what parameters to pass?

It is not so much a matter of parameters to pass... the modules need to
be compiled for the kernel being used. Once you do that they should
auto-load and detect the NIC.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup