Re: Alias problem

Incoming from Aldous Huxley:
> Whenever I create the alias: [alias 'ls=ls --color=auto'] it works
> just fine until I log out and then log back in, then, magically, it's
> not there.  Why doesn't linux save these changes to disk?

That's a feature.  The way to do this is:

  - try it out at the command line.

  - if that works, add it to one of your startup files (~/.bashrc,
    ~/.bash_profile, ~/.profile, ...).

  - start up a terminal program, selecting a login shell (so it runs
    your startup scripts; "rxvt -ls &" would do it), to ensure there
    are no conflicts.

  - enjoy.

- -