Re: Alias problem

 --- Aldous Huxley <ahuxley@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Whenever I create the alias: [alias 'ls=ls --color=auto'] it works just
> fine until I log out and then log back in, then, magically, it's not
> there.  Why doesn't linux save these changes to disk?

Alias are added to ~/.bashrc

To do this though, you will first need to edit ~/.bash_profile, and
uncomment (that is, remove the "#") such that it looks like:

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    source ~/.bashrc
fi

Then you can save that file, edit ~/.bashrc and you'll see some
pre-defined aliases. One of which is already included as your original one
above, just commented out. When you have finished with that execute:

. ~/.bash_profile

and all will be right with the world.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"

Chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the
FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/