Re: Functions or aliases?

On 2004-05-09 23:22:51 +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> I use the simple rule:
>
>  - aliases take no arguments (or take arguments in a trivial way e.g.
>    "alias ls='ls --color-auto')
>  - functions take arguments
>
> So, I'd stick to using an alias in the case you describe.

You can add arguments to both. But they are interpreted differently.
With complex aliases, this can lead to unwanted effects. In functions,
you can control the arguments (by ignoring them, by returning an error
if they are incorrect, and so on).

100% validated (X)HTML - Acorn / RISC OS / ARM, free software, YP17,
Championnat International des Jeux Mathématiques et Logiques, etc.