Suexec path wrong?

For quite some time now I have been trying to get cgi working on a
debian stable based system under the apt-get apache debs; My error
log is 0 is size but my suexec log is huge, all saying the same
thing:

[2004-05-11 12:16:14]: error: command not in docroot
(/home/site.tld/perltest.cgi)

It is in the document root, its in the folder apacheis  set up for
that useer DocumentRoot, and I cant change the directory to anything
else; My question is this:

1. Why am I getting this error.
2. How can I fix it so that I get cgi (perl scripts) running without
suexec stopping them, while still giving people that path to there
scripts to they dont have to recode them all??

I tried taking suexec out of the apache config by renaming it like
the apache docs say but all that did was make the server seqfualt any
time a request for a cgi script happened.