Re: Testing->Stable?

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 12:47:05PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 02:00:05PM -0700, Justin Souter, InkNoise wrote:
> >>Is there any information on when the current testing release will
> >>become the stable release?
> >
> >Follow the debian-devel-announce mailing list for relevant
> >announcements.
> Naturally, there is the classic response: "When it's ready."
> One of the truly nice things about Debian.  A release won't
> be rushed out the door to satisfy some political or financial
> demand.

At the same time, "when it's ready" can be taken too far. In a
distribution containing ten thousand packages or more, you have to draw
the line somewhere, *drive* things to be ready, and sometimes cut out
things that clearly aren't going to be ready. I've never really liked
"when it's ready" as a maxim, although I guess it's a reasonable