Re: wins? or what?

on Wed, May 05, 2004 at 04:31:47PM -0700, Curtis Vaughan (curtis@npc-usa.com) wrote:
> Question.  I have several Windows clients in our network you have to
> use DHCP.  The DHCP server is a Linux server, which also acts as the
> DNS server.  However, a separate Linux server needs to know how to
> resolve the NetBios name of one such Windows client (let's say his
> NetBios name is ACCT).
>
> If I just type ping acct.  It won't find acct.  If I type smbclient -L
> \\ACCT, it finds it.  I have tried changing parts of the smb.conf file,
> but I'm not sure that that has anything to do with this problem (or
> does it?).  I can't put a ACCT entry into the DNS server as it's
> address is dynamic.
>
> What options are there for me to get this Linux server to resolve
> ACCT's ip address?

The response I got to this question when asking it was that I should
probably run periodic smbclient lookups to find clients, map IPs, and
stuff this in an /etc/hosts or named zonefile somewhere.

Netbios is designed to query the network periodically.  I believe it's
12 minute intervals by default.  Samba or legacy MS Windows documents
should cover this.

If you're happy with the default resolution and your network topology is
stable, rebuilding your translation table every 12 minutes (or longer)
should work.  To halve your error rate, try every 6.

Peace.

    We need a miracle, it's very important.
    - Princess Bride