Re: Formatting a partition for Windows XP

Tom Kuiper wrote:

What commands would the batch file contain?

Is the a DOS/Windows version of rsync? Or would I use rsync on the Linux box
to pull the files?

Yes you would need to install cygwin (www.cygwin.com)...they have an rsync package.

Assuming you've got samba set up with a share that your daughter's computer has mapped to, then writing a script file to use rsync to copy new & updated files over to the backup partition should be a piece of cake. The rsync man page (http://samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html) gives several good examples. In your case, you'll definitely want to do a 'push' from your daughter's machine to the linux box.

I'm familiar with fdisk and used that on a previous attempt. (I'm doing it again because the disk failed and hope to get the Windows partition right
this time.)

Tye 'cfdisk' instead of 'fdisk', it'll make your life easier.

Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 9964 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1             1      4587  36845046   83  Linux
/dev/hdb2          4588      8338  30129907+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hdb3          8339      9964  13060845   83  Linux

nutmeg:~# mkfs -V -t vfat /dev/hdb2
mkfs version 2.11n (Jan 27 2002)
mkfs.vfat /dev/hdb2
mkfs.vfat 2.8 (28 Feb 2001)
mkfs.vfat: Attempting to create a too large file sile system.

I realize now that I was shooting in the dark.  Here are some plausible
partition choices:
 7  HPFS/NTFS
 b  Win95 FAT32
 c  Win95 FAT32 (LB
 e  Win95 FAT16 (LB
 f  Win95 Ext'd (LB
I don't know how c, e, and f differ.

If you've really only got the three partitions, then use cfdisk to change the partition type of /dev/hdb2 (I assume that's your target partition for backup) to type 'c' -- FAT32 (LBA). The (LBA) identifies this as a FAT32 partition reaching beyond the old 8gb bios boundary).

Maybe if I pick the right partition type, I won't have the "too large"
error?

I'm not sure of mkfs.vfat imposes a limit on the size of FAT32 partition. There's nothing inherent in the FAT32 spec that prevents a larger (>30gb) parition, but maybe the linux implementation imposes some limit for some reason. Try ext2 instead of FAT32--in your situation, there's no reason that ext2 won't server you well for a backup partition.

Thanks for your help so far.  I may be getting somewhere now.

Good luck.

Paul