PHP Fatal error: Unable to start session mm module in Unknown on line 0

"PHP Fatal error:  Unable to start session mm module in Unknown on line 0"
when attempting to start apache with php4 on debian stable, testing, and possibly others.

It's a fairly cryptic error message several people have complained about on a few lists including this one, and theres no good answers posted anywhere for the most obvious cause, so I'm posting this, having just encountered it:

There are a lot of suggestions involving changing the shared memory size, and deleting session files, however I found this to be the error message you get when the session directory does not exist. This may often occur when its defined as /tmp/phpsess, and a reboot cleaned all the files out of /tmp. Simply mkdir /tmp/phpsess or whatever the directory is set to in your php.ini

hope this is helpful to someone.
 -Rubin