Re: Massive increase of spam on debian-*@l.d.o

cls@truffula.sj.ca.us wrote:
Over 90% of the spam I'm getting/blocking is relayed through
trojaned PCs on residential broadband.  If the top five
cable modem and "DSL" providers would close outbound port 25
except to their own customer servers, the problem would
be mostly solved.

And then here are a ton of people out there who aren't compromised that start having problems getting to their legitimate services off their hosting companies.

Personally I haven't used any of my hosting company's email servers since setting up my own server. In the same time I've never sent out virus email or been an open relay. Yet because of boneheaded ideas like the above I now have to get around idiotic, lazy blocks. Tired of it.