Re: Best way to software mirror boot partition

Make a mirror (/dev/md0) with 1 drive (/dev/hdb) and one failed device.
  mkfs the mirror
  mount it on /tmp/mnt
  rsync -ax / /tmp/mnt
  vi /etc/lilo.conf (not the mirror version)
    modify lilo.conf to point the "root=" to /dev/md0, don't touch "boot="
  vi /tmp/mnt/etc/fstab (not the original version)
    set up root to point to /dev/md0

  make sure you have a bootable CD (knoppix, debian install, etc) for
    recover if it hits the fan
  execute lilo
  reboot, hopefully off the mirror

  If all goes well and sync's up add the original hda into the mirrorf
and update your lilo.conf per the man page:

root=/dev/md0
boot=/dev/md0
raid-extra-boot=/dev/hda,/dev/hdb

  If it fails, boot off the recovery cd/floppy and try to mount /dev/md0
(might have to start raid manually) to see if it's functional.  If not
mount up /dev/hda1 and restore to booting off that.

Don't forget any additional file systems.

Thus spake Derek Zeanah (derek@zeanah.com):