Imapd trouble

I have uw-imapd-ssl working fine but i've just installed squirrelmail and it need a non ssl version of imad running. Some how I have effed up my plain imap connection, if I try to telnet to port 993 I get a valid connection that I can then break:

p4-7126:~# telnet localhost 993
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> q
Connection closed.

But if I telnet to 143 I gt connection refused:

p4-7126:~# telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

And I get this in my mail log:
May 3 14:30:06 p4-7126 imaplogin: /usr/lib/courier/courier/imaplogin: No such file or directory

But I don't have courier imap installed!
p4-7126:~# dpkg -l |grep imap
ii  uw-imapd-ssl   2001adebian-6  remote mail folder access server
p4-7126:~# dpkg -l |grep courier
p4-7126:~#

How can I get round this problem? What is causing uw-imapd-ssl to look for a courier authlog?