Re: Mail system setup on Debian Sarge

Achton N. Netherclift wrote:
> I am running Debian Sarge with kernel-image-2.6.3-1-686 and wish to run
> a mail system for a handful of users - say 5-10 initially.

The choice of kernel is not particularly significant.  Any of the
assortment should all work.  The 2.6 kernel has some nice scheduling
and other enhancements so it is a good choice in general.

> I am looking for some specific features, and have thought of a software
> combination that might work, but would like someone with experience to
> point me in the right direction, if this isn't the one.

I can't comment too much here and will leave that for others.

> I need for users:
> - Webmail access (Squirrelmail or Open WebMail?)
> - Mail forwarding

Make sure you are aware of the effects of SPF on mail forwarding.

  http://spf.pobox.com

> - Mail fetching from other accounts (POP3/IMAP)

uw-imapd (or uw-imapd-ssl) is simple.  courier-imapd I hear is
industrial strength.

> - Online account management
>
> I'm thinking Qmail for MTA,

Either Postfix-2.x or Exim-4.x are such good MTAs that I would not
recommend dealing with the baggage of Qmail.  I personally use
Postfix.

> but know nothing of how to make it fetch mail from other accounts
> (fetchmail, I suppose), and how to make this feature available for
> online configuration for my users (Usermin?)

That is again independent of the MTA.  Any of the assortment would all
work fine.

Bob